We represent high-profile clients in private disputes that require litigation or settlement. Based in the center of the nation’s capital, we are also at the center of political law. We are one of the few firms that specialize in the often-arcane intersection of law and the political process. We have:
- Won acquittals in major campaign finance criminal prosecutions
- Prevailed in contesting a House of Representatives election
- Assisted clients responding to high-profile Congressional and independent counsel investigations
- Limited prosecutors' ability to criminalize conduct in the legislative realm
We also counsel clients daily on campaign finance and ethics, as well as lobbying issues.
We represent businesses at critical points in their development, often when they are new or in trouble. At these times, they feel overwhelmed by the bulk of the federal government's resources, and we help them level the playing field. In the past, we have:
- Litigated successful challenges to regulations from the Departments of Transportation, Commerce, and Health and Human Services
- Persuaded federal agencies (recently, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Commerce, and the General Services Administration) to rescind or substantially modify proposed regulations
- Represented associations, their members, and other clients in administrative enforcement matters conducted by, among others, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Election Commission, the banking and thrift regulatory agencies, and the Securities and Exchange Commission
We represent people who are running short on options. For these individuals, we stabilize the situation, and then develop a creative, workable solution. If a case must be tried, we pick the best fight. Allegations against our clients have included:
- Banking, insurance, bankruptcy, procurement, and other economic fraud
- Public official corruption and conflicts of interest
- Perjury, making false statements, and obstruction of justice
- Criminal conspiracies
- The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act
For our criminal defense clients, we manage all aspects of investigations (pre-grand jury, grand jury, and discovery), trials (jury and non-jury), motions (suppression of evidence and dismissal of indictments), appeals, sentencing, and applications for post-conviction relief, parole, and clemency.
We help businesses to protect themselves from excessive government regulation.
We use our legal, political, and business expertise to help them manage successful regulatory interventions—from start to finish. We know how to get the appropriate parties at the table, how to achieve intended results from regulatory meetings, and how to select the facts that fundamentally change the dynamics of the regulatory decision-making process.
Our reputation assures businesses and government alike that our facilitation is credible and effective.
For those embroiled in agency enforcement proceedings, we bring similar strengths and strategies. We have represented companies and individuals at every stage of the process, from the initial investigation to efforts to have the government reimburse them for costs incurred to defend against improper agency enforcement activity.
We also have represented companies and individuals at specific points in a process—for example, to contest an unfair or illegal regulatory penalty that an agency had already imposed.
If an agency decision-making process, whether through regulation or enforcement action, cannot be made more flexible and informed, we help provide solutions. In those cases, we use our expertise to ensure redress in court or via Congressional review and intercession.
Labor organizations today face varied challenges while operating in the political arena. We counsel international and local labor organizations and their federal- and state-regulated political committees on topics such as:
- The conduct of political activity (counseling on fund-raising, issue advocacy, and grass-roots activities)
- Self-governance (serving as convention parliamentarian and advisors on procedures)
- Internal union disciplinary proceedings
- Regulatory disputes and proceedings
- Enforcement and congressional investigations